My Dearest Daughters,
It’s been awhile since I have written, though I have composed many a letter in my mind. This one is too important to simply let it simmer there. This one is about the man you marry.
This letter may be long overdue as you are all adults now, however, still single. These are things you should keep in mind when choosing the man you marry.
1. Watch how he treats his mother.
This may be the most important tell-tell sign of how he will treat his wife.
2. Make sure he has a sense of humor.
This will get you through the hard times, and yes my dearest daughters, there will be hard times.
3. Make sure you know how he handles himself when he is angry.
Anger should never get in the way of a relationship, rather it should build intimacy. This is an opportunity to share and grow as a couple
4. Spend time with him when you are sick.
This is so very important. What is he made of? How does he treat you when you aren’t at your best?
5. Know if he has addictions.
Now we’re getting into the ugly truths. If he is an addict and he is not actively working at recovery, run. Fast and hard. No matter how much you love him.
6. Trust you instincts.
7. Know how he feesl about money.
This may seem trivial as a pre-married woman, but it becomes so very important after you say “I do”.
8. Watch him with children, especially nieces and nephews.
It is important to know what kind of a father he will be. Some men weren’t meant to be fathers. If you want to have children this is a must-know before marriage.
9. If he doesn’t cherish you and view you as the most precious gift he has been given, he is not the one for you.
10. Know his values as well as you know your own.
You must know his values but perhaps more importantly, watch to see if he lives them out.
This is not an exhaustive list, my dearest daughters, however, these are important things to consider when choosing the man you marry.
It’s the most important decision you will ever make.